AFRICAN NOVA SCOTIAN AFFAIRS–Province to Consult African Nova Scotian Communities on Recognition

first_imgThe province wants to hear ideas on how to recognize and honour the contributions that people of African descent have made in Nova Scotia. The Office of African Nova Scotian Affairs will visit communities across the province from March 17-30 to gather suggestions on ways to pay tribute to African Nova Scotian experiences and achievements. “We want to establish a lasting form of recognition that honours both the struggle for human rights and the many contributions that African Nova Scotians have made to the history, culture and development of this province,” said Percy Paris, Minister of African Nova Scotian Affairs. “The time is right to do this, especially with 2011 being the International Year for People of African Descent. We will work with communities to determine the most fitting form of recognition.” Consultation sessions will begin at 6:30 p.m. at the following locations: Public input can also be shared online, by visiting www.gov.ns.ca/ansa or e-mailing ansa_newsletter@gov.ns.ca by March 31. March 17, Menelik Hall, 88 Laurier St., Whitney Pier March 21, Lincolnville Community Centre, Lincolnville Loop, Lincolnville March 21, Ward One Recreation Centre, 387 Brother St., New Glasgow March 22, Black Employment Partnership Committee office, 103 Water St., Yarmouth March 23, Highland AME Church, 236 Church St., Amherst March 28, Cornwallis Street Baptist Church, 5457 Cornwallis St., Halifax March 30, Black Cultural Centre, 1149 Main St., Dartmouthlast_img read more

Lanka still has reconciliation issues in north

Sri Lanka still needs to focus on post-war rehabilitation challenges to affect real reconciliation, British High Commissioner John Rankin said in a statement.In the statement released after John Rankin visited the former war zone in the Northern province, he called on the Sri Lankan government to investigate disappearances and resolve land issues that prevent people from leading normal lives. Rankin urged the Sri Lankan government to look into the issues and pledged continued support from the British government to promote reconciliation.“I hope post-conflict issues can be further resolved in the context of continuing reconciliation and development processes. The British government will continue to assist in such efforts, in support of peace, security and prosperity for the Sri Lankan people.” Sri Lanka ended a three decade war in 2009 with the Tamil Tiger rebels who had fought for a separate homeland for the minority Tamil in north and east Sri Lanka, and has resettled over 300,000 people since then but challenges of livelihood and security remain despite government insistence that normalcy has been restored. (Xinhua-ANI) “I have seen some of the continuing challenges faced by people after so many years of conflict and displacement. Land issues built up over decades remain complex; some people do not know what happened to lost loved ones; and many women heads of household face difficulties playing the dual roles of bread winner and care provider,” he was quoted as saying in the statement. read more

Corrie McKeague Police confident missing RAF gunner will be found in landfill

first_imgA search team investigating the disappearance of RAF gunner Corrie McKeague have trawled through 60 tonnes of waste at a landfill site as his mother warned it would be “just a matter of time” until his remains are found.Police have warned that it could take up to 10 weeks for the team of eight search officers to sift through vast swathes of rubbish at the site in Milton, near Cambridge.However, a spokesman for Suffolk police say the force is “confident” he will be found.It comes as refuse vehicle, seized shortly after Mr McKeague disappeared from Bury St Edmunds after a night out with friends, was found to be carrying a heavier load than originally thought.The lorry, which had been due to collect a 11kg load, has since been found to have contained a haul weighing more than 100kg. Nicola Urquhart, mother of missing 23-year-old Corrie McKeague “Regardless of how he’s ended up in there, I cannot get my head around how he’s ended up in landfill.”I don’t understand how the process has allowed him to get to landfill. It was the one thing that was giving me hope that he was still alive.” Corrie McKeague, 23, went missing in September last year Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. “We’ve been working tirelessly on this investigation to try and find Corrie – that’s been our priority the whole way through.”To have that information really reinforced the decision that we’d already made that we needed to come and search this landfill site.””The search of the landfill is a huge undertaking, and still may not provide the answer as to what happened, but now, with new information uncovered by the officers working on the case, this is the priority.”The six-month investigation has cost more than £300,000 to date and the search of the landfill site could cost more than £500,000 if it runs to 10 weeks. Corrie McKeague, 23, went missing in September last yearcenter_img Ms Elliott said it was a “dreadful” time for the family of Mr McKeague and her thoughts are with them.Following his disappearance on September 24 last year, the last known CCTV sighting of Mr McKeague showed him walking from a shop doorway into a horseshoe-shaped area in  Brentgovel Street, from which he failed to reappear.After he was reported missing, signals showed his mobile phone had been in nearby Barton Mills, and matched the route of a bin lorry. Detective Superintendent Katie Elliott said she does not believe there was a “deliberate attempt to mislead” the investigation, and that the focus had to be on finding Mr McKeague.”I have a strong belief that we will find him here,” she added. “”It’s frustrating for me, I think it must be terribly frustrating for Corrie’s family.” The landfill search follows the discovery of CCTV footage this week, showing that a bin lorry was stationed near Brentgovel Street in the town around the same time that Mr McKeague was last seen.The movements of the vehicle also appear to match the location signals traced on his phone.The area of the landfill site where the load was deposited is now being searched, with a digger mechanically excavating mounds of waste and officers in white protective suits raking through it on the ground.A 26-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice over the discrepancy in the lorry’s load weight, but has since been told he faces no further action. Officers are now considering whether the lorry, which was spotted on CCTV making a collection near where Mr McKeague was last seen, could have carried Mr McKeague to a landfill site.Commenting on the developments, the mother of the 23-year-old, Nicole Urquhart, said the search could “only mean one thing”.“We know we are going to find Corrie in the landfill. There’s just no way realistically that Corrie was not in the bin,” she added. Nicola Urquhart, mother of missing 23-year-old Corrie McKeaguelast_img read more