Feb 12, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – In a ruling that aligns with numerous research studies, a special federal court today rejected claims by three sets of parents that vaccines caused their children’s autism.The US Court of Federal Claims ruled against claims that autism was triggered by measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine or by MMR vaccine in combination with vaccines containing thimerosal.”After careful consideration of all the evidence, it was abundantly clear that petitioners’ theories of causation were speculative and unpersuasive,” wrote the special master (judge) in one of the three decisions.The Court of Claims weighs complaints brought by citizens under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, a federal no-fault program set up in 1986 to reduce the number of lawsuits against physicians and vaccine makers. As of May 2008, more than 12,800 cases had been filed under the program, 5,365 of those related to autism. Since 1988, the program has paid out more than $859 million to a total of 956 claimants, according to Court of Claims documents.According to court documents, today’s decisions came in three test cases based on one of three “causation theories” proposed by parents of children with autism: that MMR vaccines and thimerosal-containing vaccines can combine to cause autism. Thimerosal is a mercury-containing compound that is used as a preservative in some vaccines, including some influenza vaccines. Hearings in the three cases were held in 2007.Federal officials and public health and medical groups welcomed today’s rulings, while saying that the search for the cause of autism must continue.”Hopefully, the determination by the Special Masters will help reassure parents that vaccines do not cause autism,” the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said in a statement.The statement said HHS “continues to support research to better understand the cause of autistic disorders and develop more effective methods of treatment.”Dr. Paul E. Jarris, executive director of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, said in an e-mailed statement, “We are glad to see that the Court upheld the strong science supporting the safety of vaccines. Unfortunately, we still do not understand the true causes of autism. Parents of children with autism are struggling to find answers and provide their children with adequate care. We urge researchers to redouble their efforts to find a cause and a cure.”The American Medical Association also hailed the rulings, stating: “Autism is a heart-wrenching condition, and the upheaval felt by parents whose children suffer with autism is understandable—as is their search for answers. We need ongoing research into the causes of autism, but cannot let unfounded myths keep us from giving our children the proven protection they need against infectious diseases.”But SafeMinds, an autism advocacy group, criticized the decision, saying the deck is stacked against claimants because HHS funds vaccine safety research and is the defendant in vaccine injury cases.The group commented, “The denial of reasonable compensation to families was based on inadequate vaccine safety science available to the court. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the defendant in vaccine injury cases and is also responsible for carrying out the very vaccine safety research that should be integral to court decisions. This conflict of interest means the deck is stacked against families when they enter ‘vaccine court’ and is yet one more reason for parents to doubt the integrity of the National Immunization Program.”One of the three families involved in the cases decided today claimed that vaccines containing thimerosal can cause immune dysfunction and that MMR vaccine can cause both autism and gastrointestinal dysfunction, according to the decision document. But Special Master George Hastings wrote that the “evidence was overwhelmingly contrary to the petitioners’ contentions.”In another case, parents argued that a combination of thimerosal-containing vaccines and the measles component of the MMR vaccine caused their son to suffer a “pervasive developmental disorder,” similar to autism spectrum disorder. Special Master Denise Vowell wrote that the evidence presented was “voluminous and extraordinarily complex”—but unpersuasive.See also: Autism decision documentshttp://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/vaccine_files/Hastings-Cedillo.pdfhttp://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/vaccine_files/Campbell-Smith_Hazlehurst_Decision.pdfhttp://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/vaccine_files/Vowell.Snyder.pdfUS Court of Claims autism proceeding pagehttp://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/omnibus-autism-proceedingCourt of Claims backgrounder on autism proceedingshttp://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/node/4428Feb 12 HHS news releasehttp://www.hhs.gov:80/news/press/2009pres/02/20090212a.html
..Shawn Steele lashes in helmet-trick for JaguarsTHE Linden/Soesdyke Highway based clubs, Kuru Kururu Warriors and Circuit Ville Jaguars recorded contrasting wins to bring the curtains down on the first round of the GFF/NAMILCO Thunderbolt Flour Power National Intra Association Under-17 League, East Bank leg at the Grove Playfield on Saturday afternoon.The Warriors got full points without breaking a sweat as their opponent,Agricola Red Triangle, failed to show up.Warriors ended the first round in second position,ahead of Circuit Ville Jaguars,with a better goal difference of +15 to the Jaguars’ +10.Competing in their first season as an EBFA affiliate, Circuit Ville Jaguars have sounded a warning to all and sundry that they are here to compete. They ended the first round with their biggest margin of victory to date, demolishing Diamond United, 6-0.Leading the rampant Jaguars was Shawn Steele who lashed in a helmet-trick, netting in the 11th, 20th, 30th and 44th minute. Complimenting Steele’s efforts were Tyron David who scored in the 40th minute and Isaiah Dodson in the 68th minute.The teams will enjoy a much needed break before resuming rivalry in January as they aim for the overall championship crown and bragging rights as the best U-17 side on the East Bank.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on October 25, 2018 at 12:22 am Contact Matt: firstname.lastname@example.org Ifeatu Melifonwu kept glancing at the sidelines during his first defensive drive against North Carolina, looking to see if Chris Fredrick was ready to check back in. Fredrick sprained his ankle defending a fly route down the sidelines in the first quarter. Play after play, Melifonwu looked at the injury tent waiting for Fredrick to emerge. He didn’t.After North Carolina’s drive ended in the beginning of the second quarter, Melifonwu jogged back over to the sidelines, where Fredrick found him and informed the redshirt freshman that he couldn’t go back in the game.“He kinda told me to just do my job, win my one-on-one,” Melifonwu said. “That calmed me down.”In Fredrick’s absence, Melifonwu produced one of the best games of the season by an SU defensive back and helped lead Syracuse (5-2, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) to a 40-37 overtime win against North Carolina on Saturday in the Carrier Dome. In just three quarters of play, Melifonwu broke up four passes, which now leads all Orange players. Melifonwu was particularly effective in the fourth quarter when he posted three break ups to lead SU defensively in a comeback victory, which moved the Orange within one win of a bowl game.Melifonwu was nervous when he first entered the contest, he said, especially on the first snap. And early on in the second quarter, those nerves showed. On UNC’s second drive in the second quarter, Antoine Green beat Melifonwu down the sidelines for a 23-yard reception.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I wasn’t afraid of anything in particular,” Melifonwu said. “I just wasn’t settled in.”Laura Angle | Digital Design EditorAt 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, Melifonwu is one of the biggest defensive backs on the team. During fall camp he constantly matched up with Jamal Custis, who at 6-foot-5 is the tallest wideout on SU. It was against Custis that he refined his press, throwing wide receivers back at the line of scrimmage, and halting them from getting out in open space.“That battle was always competitive,” Custis said. “He’s a bigger guy. Sometimes he’d win. Sometimes I’d win. He’s a tough player.”In the second half against UNC, Melifonwu played more aggressively. On his first break up, a pass intended for Green late in the third quarter, the receiver attempted a slant-and-go. Green failed to bait Melifonwu on the slant, Melifonwu said, so he stayed on top of Green and broke up the pass.Heading into the final frame, the SU coaches spoke to the defense. They reinforced to the players to “do their 1/11th,” focus on their assignment and do their job. Fredrick found Melifonwu and reiterated his message from before.“He just told me to focus on my call and win my one-on-one,” Melifonwu said.After UNC quarterback Nathan Elliott completed a nine-yard pass to Anthony Ratliff-Williams three minutes into the fourth, Melifonwu locked him down. Minutes later, Elliott aimed another pass for Ratliff-Williams, but Melifonwu read the three-step drop and jumped ahead, breaking up the pass.For most of the remainder of the quarter, Elliott didn’t throw the ball in Melifonwu’s direction often, but after Tommy DeVito threw a late-game interception to give UNC the ball on the SU 39-yard line, Melifonwu stepped up.With 54 seconds to go, Elliott threw Melifonwu’s way. While Melifonwu played most of the game keeping his distance and then attacking late, he said, on this play he “pressed big” and stuttered Ratliff-Williams. When the ball came their way, Melifonwu stepped in and knocked it down.Three plays later, with Syracuse in a Cover 2 set, Melifonwu forced his man down the sidelines and broke up another intended pass to keep North Carolina stationary at the 39-yard-line. That kept UNC out of field goal range, forcing overtime, and allowing the SU offense another possession.The coaches told Melifonwu he had a good game, he said, and to follow it up next time out.“We got some guys banged up and he’s gotten an opportunity,” Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said, “and like some of the other freshmen around here, he’s really taken advantage of his opportunity.” Comments
Cristiano Ronaldo has moved to calm fears over his fitness ahead of Saturday’s Champions League final.Ronaldo suffered an injury in training on Tuesday but has claimed the problem is nothing more than a dead leg.He was quoted as saying by Sky Sports: “I am fine. I had a little problem in training, a dead leg as they say here, but tomorrow (Wednesday) or the next day I will be fine. It was a minor scare, a knock.”The Portugal forward hurt his left leg when colliding with Kiko Casilla following a push from Dani Carvajal and, after receiving treatment on the field, threw a water bottle in anger as he headed for the changing rooms. His participation against city rivals Atletico Madrid in Milan on Saturday does not appear to be in doubt, though, sparing Real a fresh worry, with the club already without defender Raphael Varane due to a thigh problem that could rule him out of Euro 2016. The Frenchman may be sidelined for up to three weeks with the injury sustained in training last weekend and, with France’s campaign starting on June 10, could miss the tournament in his homeland. Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane, the former France skipper, told the club’s official website: “The only major drawback, and that really is very serious, is Varane.“He is now out for Saturday. He may not be ready in two or three weeks. It is less serious than we thought. He will travel but will not play on Saturday.“With regard to the selection I hope he can play the Euros. It’s a blow for him and I’m worried about him.” 1 Cristiano Ronaldo lies injured in Real Madrid training