Smalling is proud of Uniteds FA Cup history

first_imgManchester United is the second most successful team in the FA Cup, having won the tournament 12 times, just one less than Arsenal.In FA Cup history, Manchester United are the second-most-successful team of the tournament.They have lifted the trophy in 12 occasions, one less than Arsenal who have 13.And for Red Devils footballer Chris Smalling, this is something to be proud of.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…“We won it [the FA Cup] back in 2016 and reached the final last year – and of course we won the Europa League and the Carabao Cup as well, so that’s at least one cup final in each of the last three seasons,” said Smalling to the club’s official website.“I think, in general, we stand ourselves in very good positions when we go up against teams over 90 minutes in cup ties.”“I think that experience we’ve had over the last few years in all of the cup competitions is very useful and tees us up nicely for another crack at the FA Cup this year,” he commented.“I think it just brings pure excitement for you. No matter what happened the previous year – whether you won the cup or whether it brought you disappointment – it’s like a fresh start all over again and you’ve no idea who you’re going to get in the draw. That’s what makes it so exciting.”last_img read more

SoundCloud Profitability Will Take Years

first_imgNews SoundCloud: Profitability Will Take Years Twitter Email Facebook When Will SoundCloud Be Profitable? soundcloud-profitability-will-take-years A regulatory filing spells out the long road to profit that SoundCloud hopes to travelPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Sep 12, 2017 – 1:16 pm Streaming music is succeeding as top services Amazon Music, Apple Music and Spotify are adding millions of paid subscribers, but the struggle to get into the black and see profit is crucial, especially for the long-term survival of streaming service SoundCloud.An online platform that has helped new stars such as Chance The Rapper and Kygo rise to international prominence, SoundCloud is beloved but love won’t pay the bills. Investors came to its rescue in August to save the nearly shuttered service but SoundCloud’s millions of free users have diminished somewhat and the two tiers of SoundCloud Go premium have not reached the point where it’s profitable.Digital Music News uncovered a German regulatory filing spelling out the tough realities for SoundCloud moving forward. Converting free users to paid subscribers is SoundCloud’s road to survival. Depending on the rate of that growth, fresh investment could be needed “to generate sufficient cash to cover the planned expenditures.”Given the power and scope of the big-league majors, additional music subscriptions are most likely to be a second thought. But fans need to wrap their heads around supporting multiple premium services for many of their favorites to survive long-term.With August’s Investment, SoundCloud Fans Celebrate Its SurvivalRead morelast_img read more

UNSC pledges to tackle terror funding unanimously adopts resolution 2462

first_imgThe members of the United Nations Security Council hold a meeting to vote for a resolutions on controlling the turmoil in Venezuela on February 28, 2019 at the United Nations in New York. – Russia and China on Thursday used their veto at the UN Security Council to block a US resolution calling for new presidential elections in Venezuela and unimpeded deliveries of humanitarian aid.France, Germany and Britain were among nine countries that backed the proposed measure. South Africa also voted no while Indonesia, Equatorial Guinea and Ivory Coast abstained.JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images [Representational Image]The UN Security Council has adopted a resolution that calls upon countries to prevent and counter the financing of terrorism, especially in its new forms.Initiated by France, Resolution 2462 is intended to update existing resolutions and adapt them to new forms of financing of terrorism and new challenges in this field, Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday.The resolution notes with concern that terrorists may abuse legitimate businesses and non-profit organisations for their activities, and make use of emerging payment methods, such as prepaid cards and mobile payments or virtual assets.It also expresses concern at the continuing use by terrorists and their supporters of information and communications technologies, in particular, the internet, to facilitate terrorist acts, as well as inciting, recruiting, funding, or planning terrorist acts.Therefore, the resolution calls upon all countries to enhance the traceability and transparency of financial transactions, including assessing and addressing potential risks associated with virtual assets and as appropriate, the risks of new financial instruments, including but not limited to crowd-funding platforms.It also encourages member states to apply risk-based anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing regulations to virtual asset service providers and to identify effective systems to conduct risk-based monitoring or supervision of virtual asset service providers.Furthermore, the resolution encourages competent national authorities, in particular financial intelligence units and intelligence services, to continue to establish effective partnerships with the private sector, including financial institutions, the Financial technology industry and internet and social media companies, in particular with regards to the evolution of trends, sources and methods of the financing of terrorism.Adopted in 2001 in response to the September 11 terrorist attacks in the US, Resolution 1373 was the first comprehensive resolution imposing obligations on all states to respond to the global threat of terrorism.Resolution 2462 also affirms the Resolution 1373 and in particular its decisions that all countries shall prevent and suppress the financing of terrorist acts and refrain from providing any of support, active or passive, to entities or persons involved in terrorist acts.last_img read more

Airtel and Nokia sign Rs 3350crore agreement to expand 4G deployment in

first_imgTelecom operators Bharti Airtel and Nokia on Monday announced that they would expand the deployment of 4G technology across nine spectrum circles in India, as the country prepares itself for the next boom in mobile data demand.According to sources quoted by the Economic Times, the contract is roughly pegged at Rs 3,350 crore (about $500 million). Through this contract, Airtel will expand and ramp up 4G capacities to counter the threat of Reliance Jio.According to the contract, Airtel would extend its 4G technology in three new circles of Gujarat, Bihar and UP (East). It also entails expansion of 4G capacities to six other spectrum circles of Mumbai, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Odisha, Punjab and Kerala.Read: Reliance Jio blames Airtel for call drops”We are pleased to continue to leverage Nokia’s leading radio access technology and services expertise to expand 4G capacity and coverage and increase the quality of service for subscribers,” Airtel said in a statement.The new deployment would give Bharti Airtel more access to faster mobile internet and better coverage. Under this deal, Nokia would also gain access to 3G network in eight of the circles as part of the roll out.Nokia will deploy its 4G technology across nine of Bharti Airtel’s circles in India including the regions of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Rest of Bengal, Odisha, Mumbai, Maharashtra, Kerala and UP East.”We have a long history of working with Bharti Airtel and with this latest agreement we have become the largest supplier of 4G for the company. This network expansion will provide the capacity, coverage and speeds the company needs to meet the next wave of data demand in India,” Sanjay Malik, head of India market at Nokia, said in a statement.The Bharti Airtel stock was trading at Rs 299. 90 at around 10:38 a.m. on Tuesday, down 0.45 percent from its previous close on the Bombay Stock Exchange.last_img read more

Minister Shahjahan capturing banking sector

first_img.Shipping minister Shajahan Khan, who often created controveries by exerting influence in transport and labour sectors, is now making intervention in the banking sector.He is scheduled to hold a meeting with members of Bangladesh Bank Employees Union, commonly known as CBA leaders, to discuss ‘the overall situation of the sector’.Some bankers have expressed their concern over the minister’s move, saying that this is an ominous sign, especially at a time when the banking sector is in dire straits.Officials concerned said the CBA (collective bargaining agent) leaders who would attend the two-day meeting, would be given conveyance and daily allowances, according to an order issued by the central bank.The presence of 18 CBA leaders at the meeting will also be considered as onduty hours.“I’ve never heard of anything like this in my 25 years of career. Employee unions will do their activities independently. How can giving rumuneration for that and their attending of meeting be considered as working hours? It’s really a wild imagination!” said former deputy governor of Bangladesh Bank Khandakar Ibrahim Khaled.“It makes us understand where the regulatory institution is heading for?” he added.According to the central bank order, shipping minister Shajahan Khan will hold a views exchange meeting at the central bank’s CBA office on 15 and 16 November.The order said the CBA leaders will be exempted from the official duty from 14 November to 17 November.The 18 officers from Chittagong, Khulna, Rajshahi, Bogra, Sylhet, Barisal and Rangpur will be entitled to such privileges. They are either the central bank’s regional committee’s president or secretaries.Former caretaker government adviser and member of Transparency International Banhladesh (TIB) trustee board, M Hafizuddin Khan said, “It’s illegal. They can get the allowances only if they attend any Bangladesh Bank programme. Who is shipping minister to brief them on the banking sector?”“I saw CBA was used to be involved in fishy acts. I can’t understand why Bangladesh Bank has taken such decision,” he added.The order giving the privilege was issued after its approval from the deputy governor concerned, SM Moniruzzaman, and also from the governor, Fazle Kabir, some BB officials confirmed.Deputy governor SM Moniruzzaman did not respond to any phone call and query through texted messages.Bangladesh Bank’s human resource division’s deputy governor Abu Hena Mohammad Razi Hassan told Prothom Alo that he had no knowledge of the matter as he was on leave.Md Yunusur Rahman, secretary of the finance ministry’s financial institution division, told Prothom Alo over phone that he is not fully aware of the matter. He still observed that he even could not understand as to why the shipping minister would brief the employees of the central bank.In July this year, the state-owned Rupali Bank authorities dismissed the bank’s employee union (CBA) president, the general secretary and an office assistant for assaulting its employees at a local branch.The bank authorities also dismissed another employee and transferred four other CBA members to different branches out of Dhaka.Following the incident, on 15 October, shipping minister Shajahan Khan met the Rupali Bank authorities and asked them to come to certain compromise with the CBA leaders.“If we go to the roots of the matter, many things will be revealed about many persons,” the minister said during the discussion with bank authorities at that time.“Everyone knows what happened to the chief justice. Resolve the problems with the CBA leaders respectfully or else you may face trouble,” Shajahan reportedly added.The minister, who is executive president of Bangladesh Roads Transports Employee Federation, faced huge criticism for his role in a rally in support of the transport workers who were being tried in a Manikganj road accident. Filmmaker Tareque Masud and Mishuk Munier were killed in that accident.The minister then extended his hands in the export-oriented readymade garments sector. A ‘Garments Workers Coordination Parishad’, led by him, was formed in 2013.*The article originally published in Prothom Alo print edition is rewritten in English by Toriqul Islam.last_img read more

Police arrest 11 Narayanganj BNP men

first_img.Police and detectives in separate drives arrested 11 leaders and activists of BNP from different areas of Narayanganj district early Sunday, reports UNB.Rupganj municipality mayor Abul Bashar Badsha and Sonargaon municipality unit BNP vice-president Salauddin were, among, the detainees.A team of detective branch of police raided the house of Badsha early in the morning and arrested him, said Mazharul Islam, inspector of Detective Branch of police.Police arrested ten other BNP men including Salauddin from Sonargaon upazila in connection with carrying out sabotage and attack on police, said Sharafat Ulla, inspector of special branch of police.BNP leaders and activists allegedly attacked a prison van and snatched away two fellows near the High Court area on 30 January. Three separate cases were filed against BNP leaders and activists with Shahbag and Ramna police stations in connection with the incidents.last_img read more

US attack on Syria aggression against a sovereign state Russia

first_imgMoscow slammed the US strike on a Syrian airbase Friday as “aggression against a sovereign state”, and suspended a bilateral agreement to help avoid clashes in the skies over the war-torn country.“President Putin considers American strikes on Syria aggression against a sovereign state in violation of international norms, and under an invented pretext,” said the statement by the Kremlin press service posted on the official website.US President Donald Trump ordered a military strike on a Syrian air base at 0040GMT, in retaliation for what he said was a “very barbaric attack” Tuesday that is suspected to have contained a nerve agent.Moscow has been flying a bombing campaign in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s forces since September 2015 and on Wednesday said it would continue to back the regime.The Russian foreign ministry announced the suspension of a memorandum signed with the US in October 2015 which set up a hotline to avoid clashes between their air forces in Syrian airspace as they carried out separate bombing campaigns.“We call upon the UN Security Council to hold an extraordinary meeting to discuss the situation,” the ministry said in a statement, calling the strike “thoughtless.”Russia had sought to deflect blame from Assad over the incident, claiming Syrian jets struck a rebel arms depot housing “toxic substances” and denying that the regime has access to any chemical weapons.“The Syrian army does not have any chemical weapon stockpiles,” the Kremlin statement said, accusing Washington of trying to “divert attention of the international community from the many civilian casualties in Iraq.”“The fact of destruction of all chemical weapon stockpiles of the Syrian armed forces was recorded and confirmed by the (Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons).”“This step by Washington inflicts considerable damage to US-Russia relations, which are already in a lamentable state,” the Kremlin said.A White House official said 59 precision-guided Tomahawk missiles hit the Shayrat airfield, from where the US believes the attack was launched.The Syrian army said that six people were killed and serious damage caused by the strike.last_img read more