U-19 cricket gets boost from Sandals

first_img Four zones The competition will see four zoned teams, Eastern Flames, Western Heats, Northern Lights and Southern Sparks, competing over a four-week period. All matches will be played on Saturdays, beginning June 17. At the end of the series, the best players will be selected for an intense two week academy to be held at Sabina Park. President of the Jamaica Cricket Association, Wilford ‘Billy’ Heaven said the importance of the competition to Jamaican cricket could not be overstated. “This tournament will create a critical path for youngsters to play for Jamaica and hopefully the West Indies. Under-19 cricket is the next step to playing Senior Cup cricket and then Jamaica and the West Indies,” Heaven said. The beginning of the West Indies Test series against Pakistan on Friday, was also the start of another important milestone in the development of cricket in Jamaica. The Jamaica Cricket Association announced at a press conference at Sabina Park, that Sandals Resorts International has committed to a three-year sponsorship of an Under-19 cricket competition and academy. Rainforest Seafoods and Wisynco have also committed their support to the initiative. Guest speaker at the launch Sports Minister Olivia Grange, said there is a need for programmes such as this one. “We have seen a steady decline in performances especially at the youth level, but as a national team, we always want to be the winners. We won’t accept anything else but being number one”, she said. Sandals Resorts International’s director, corporate services, Jeremy Jones reiterated the need for corporate support of the sport in Jamaica. “Sandals Resorts believes in youth development through sports and has graduated close to 1,000 young cricketers through our academy in the eastern Caribbean. It is with tremendous pride that we bring this programme to our home in Jamaica.”last_img read more

Garda Keith Harrison battles to quash Disclosures Tribunal findings

first_imgDonegal-based Garda Keith Harrison has begun a High Court challenge seeking to quash findings made against him in reports from the Disclosures Tribunal.Harrison is claiming that Tribunal chairman Mr Justice Peter Charleton was biased due to an alleged prior professional involvement with Donegal’s Chief Superintendent Terry McGinn, who was a witness before the tribunal. The Disclosures Tribunal report found that all allegations of Garda Keith Harrison and Marissa Simms examined by the tribunal were “entirely without any validity”.Now, Harrison has launched proceedings aimed at quashing the report’s findings about him.RTE News reports that Harrison has alleged prior engagement between Mr Justice Charleton and Chief Supt McGinn when she was the garda liaison to the Morris Tribunal, which considered allegations about gardaí in Donegal in 2002-05 when Mr Justice Charleton was that tribunal’s Senior Counsel.Solicitors for Garda Harrison say in light of the alleged prior involvement wrote to the tribunal seeking to have the reports about their client set aside.The tribunal said in a reply that the steps sought on Garda Harrison’s behalf “were absurd and repugnant to the duty to the Oireachtas and the people of Ireland”.In his action, Garda Harrison seeks an order from the High Court quashing findings made in the tribunal’s second interim report and the findings of the third interim report in so far as it relates to Garda Harrison.He also seeks orders prohibiting the further publication of the second interim report and the parts of the third interim report that relate to him, and that the judge is precluded from dealing with any other matters relating to Garda Harrison and the tribunal.He further seeks a declaration that the judge has acted in breach of the garda’s rights to natural and constitutional justice and under Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights.Permission to bring the action was granted, on an ex parte basis, by Mr Justice Seamus Noonan, at today’s sitting of the High Court.The judge said he was satisfied that arguable grounds had been raised to allow Garda Harrison bring the action had been raised.The case will return before the courts in two weeks’ time.Garda Keith Harrison battles to quash Disclosures Tribunal findings was last modified: November 13th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more