Cheika names June Series squad with room for one more

first_imgSamu signed a two-year deal with the Brumbies this week, making the Melbourne-born forward eligible for the Wallabies, pending a release from New Zealand Rugby, due to his Super Rugby contract obligations.It’s a decision NZR said on Tuesday they were still mulling over and on Wednesday night, when Cheika named his squad, he said he couldn’t pick Samu, but the backrower had a spot in the squad should he be released.There is no deadline for NZR to approve Rugby Australia’s request to release Samu for June, leaving both he and the Wallabies in limbo, though it is expected there will be a decision on Thursday.”I’ve been told I can’t select him but there is a spot for him there,” Cheika said.”At this point, the decision’s in other hands. I’m not really involved in that part of it but I’m hoping that there’ll be some more clarity about that tomorrow.”Should that clearance not come, Lukhan Tui is likely to don the no. 6 in the first Test, with first-choice blindside Ned Hanigan not expected to be back from a knee injury until the second Test.Uncapped Caleb Timu is another option to fill the back row alongside David Pocock and Michael Hooper, but he would most likely slot in at eight.Reds backrower Timu is one of five uncapped players in the squad, with perhaps Brumbies fullback Tom Banks the biggest surprise of the potential debutants in the group named for the June Series.Banks had two of his best games in the side’s recent South Africa tour, scoring the game-turner against the Bulls in Pretoria last weekend.Rebels rising star Jack Maddocks is another new face in the backs, confirming his widely-expected inclusion in the squad, after a sensational start to the season in Melbourne.The wing spots were among the most-hotly contested, with Maddocks and Banks beating out seasoned winger Henry Speight as well as Queensland’s Izaia Perese, who was on the verge of a Test debut in 2017, and giant Waratahs winger Taqele Naiyaravoro.”I think it was just really tight,” Cheika said.”We went for, we’ve got very,very good attacking wingers and we look at the all-round components to make sure that we’re solid in relation to our ‘D’ and also our kicking game and the kicking game that will be coming from Ireland to us.”So, I suppose we’re trying to balance our back three players in that respect. And then of course you’ve got a guy like Banks, who’s come through with really strong performances in the last minute and I think he really deserves the opportunity.” Reds bolter Brendan Paenga-Amosa has capped a meteoric rise from Shute Shield last year to a potential Wallabies cap, named in hist first Test squad, alongside fellow rookie Folau Faingaa and 2017 breakout star Jordan Uelese.Paenga-Amosa’s progress has been swift, and Cheika backed him to be right in the mix for a spot in the first Test.”Brandon’s gone up against Malcolm Marx and performed right at the level. For me, a guy who comes out of club rugby Southern Districts, NSW and then he played NRC, got his opportunity out there, was spotted by the Reds and has taken that opportunity with both hands,” he said.”Now his challenge will be to get himself in the match 23 and I’m sure he’ll, what I’ve heard about him, and only having a small amount of contact with him, he’s going to do everything he can to be in that position.”Faingaa’s inlcusion was hanging on a possible suspension for headbutting, but having been handed just one match on the sideline, he will be available free for all three Tests.”We had him in camp for a little bit last year, he handled himself really well and he’s playing there in between Scotty (Sio) and Allan (Alaalatoa) down in Canberra and he’s got a good bit of swagger, like his attitude and I think he’ll take an opportunity with both hands,” Cheika said.Brumbies scrumhalf Joe Powell has edged out Jake Gordon and Michael Ruru to be the side’s third-choice halfback, behind established duo Will Genia and Nick Phipps.last_img read more

President revokes Red House lease

first_img…orders Cheddi Jagan Centre to vacate by tomorrowresident David Granger has ordered that the lease for Red House, which houses the Cheddi Jagan Research Centre Incorporated (CJRCI) on High Street, Kingston, Georgetown, be revoked and gave the occupants up to December 31, 2016 to vacate the property.This instruction was passed on to Minister of State Joseph Harmon on Thursday, via a letter from the Head of State, a statement from the Ministry of the Presidency revealed.Based upon advice of Legal Affairs Minister and Attorney General Basil Williams, President Granger concluded that it would be in the public’s interest for the lease, issued to the CJRCI, to be revoked.In the same communiqué, he also directed the Minister of State that the building be assigned to house “The National Trust of Guyana, its staff, stores and equipment”. The National Trust, which is currently housed in the Valerie Rodway Building on Carmichael Street, Georgetown, is ordered to be shifted over to the Lots 65, 66, and 67 High Street property with effect from January 1, 2017, where the President felt it would be better able to fulfil its mandate to preserve Guyana’s national patrimony and to promote an appreciation for the nation’s heritage.Move unconscionable and vindictiveMeanwhile, Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo has since labelled the President’s decision as “unconscionable and vindictive”. When contacted for a response on Thursday evening, the Opposition Leader would only say that he has advised the committee that manages Red House to challenge the order passed down by the Head of State.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo“I spoke with some of the members of the committee and I indicated to them that we should vigorously challenge this unconscionable, vindictive act of the Granger Administration,” he stated. Jagdeo noted that the committee is expected to issue a more detailed response on the matter shortly.This move comes more than one year after the coalition Government had engaged the CJRCI on the matter of the lease. That engagement included negotiations for the Red House to provide a national service by housing information on all of the Presidents of Guyana.However, those negotiations proved futile and in an invited comment, Legal Affairs Minister, Basil Williams, said that after discussions broke down, he sought to determine the legality of the lease agreement.Hence, the Minister released a detailed statement on Wednesday highlighting that his investigations revealed that the lease held by the CJRCI is invalid on several grounds, including the fact that there is no evidence that the President of the day had sanctioned it.According to Williams, the Commissioner of Lands & Surveys (CL&S) is the custodian of all Government Lands granted to him by the President, thus there must be evidence of the President approving leases under Section 10 of the Lands Department Act Chapter 59:01.“It is submitted that upon a proper perusal of file#413112/11 there is no formal evidence of sanction or approval by the President of the Day and the lease is invalid,” he stated.The AG went on to explain that after the CJRCI was incorporated in March 2000 as a non-profit entity, a lease was drawn up that year between the Government of Guyana and the National Trust as ‘Lessors’ and CJRCI as ‘Lessees’ however that document was not executed.He pointed out too that in May 2006, the then General Secretary of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), Donald Ramotar, made application to the CL&S on behalf of the CJRCI for a lease of Red House lands. A file was opened and in 2010, the application was resubmitted to the then Office of the President.Williams added that as of January 2011, that resubmission was also not approved as there is no evidence of any signature of the President on the purported Schedule, only those of the then CL&S, Doorga Persaud, and the Manager, Land Administration, Enrique Monzie, were affixed.“On 30th day of March 2012 the Red House lease was purportedly executed by the CL&S and Mr Ralph Ramkarran SC for the lessees. Again there was no formal approval by the President of the Day, or the National Trust, rendering the lease invalid, and a nullity in law. The President can properly revoke it,” the AG outlined.However, in a statement on Thursday, former Attorney General Anil Nandlall posited that the contention that the lease is invalid because the President did not ‘sanction’ it is an argument that is manifestly wrong.He pointed out that although the power to lease, sell or grant licenses in relation to lands which fall under State Lands Act and the Regulations made thereunder resides with the President, the legislation provides for the President to delegate such authority to the Commissioner of Lands and Surveys, the Commissioner of Forestry or the Commissioner of Geology and Mines or the Manager of the MMA/ADA.“The practice of delegating these responsibilities to subordinate functionaries is one that started since the tenure of President Arthur Chung, and has continued on to this day. So, while the President’s name may appear on the face of a lease in relation to State Lands, the President’s signature is not at the end of the lease, instead, some authorised public officer signs for the President,” Nandlall outlined, while adding that the same thing was done in relation to the Red House lease and “the argument, therefore, that the President did not sanction it is hopelessly wrong.”Williams moreover had further advanced that the lease was invalid since it was not executed before a Court or Judge and filed, as of record, in the Deeds Registry as is required by Section 13 of the Deeds Registry Act. However, the former AG pointed out that there is no such legal requirement since Section 13 of the Deeds Registry Act contains a proviso which states that the Section does not apply to leases for State lands (and Government lands).Nandlall stated that the amount of time Government is expending in trying to set aside the Red House Lease is indicative of how skewed its priorities are and how politically vindictive it can get.last_img read more