The GOL Hasn’t Spent 200,000,000 on Lobbying in the US

first_imgAbout two years ago, I was in a conversation with some people in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, who accused the Liberian government of spending over US$ 200 million on lobbying in the United States.  These individuals provided the website, www.foreignlobby.org   as their source of information. I read all the reports on the website, but was curious that it was showing LISCR spending millions on lobbying. I called ProPublica and Sunlight Foundation, the two owners of the website, to get the source of their information. I was again referred to a US government website,   www.fara.gov . For almost two years, I have made it my duty to learn how to navigate that website and understand the documents in there.In subsequent years, the story has grown from a basement discussion into a major social media topic. I am surprised that it is now a political hotcake in Monrovia. The information is readily available, so I do not understand the continued lingering of this issue, especially at the highest level of the government. I think political zealotry, an ineffective government bureaucracy and a press that is eager for scandal are the contributing factors. Did Liberia spend US$200,000,000 on lobbying in the United States? We will use the source, the FARA website to seek an answer.By the way, what is FARA? The Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) was enacted in 1938. FARA is a disclosure statute that requires persons acting as agents of foreign principals in a political or quasi-political capacity to make periodic public disclosure of their relationship with the foreign principal, as well as activities, receipts and disbursements in support of those activities. The agents being referred to here are US persons or firms.  The foreign principals can either be a foreign government or a foreign company.Let it also be made clear that FARA is not solely responsible for reporting on lobbying. Its reporting scope is much wider. Transactions reported to FARA are not entirely related to lobbying; all kinds of professional services are reported to that US government agency. The Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995 (LDA), 2 U.S.C. § 1601, administered by Congress is strictly about lobbying.We will now examine the Government of Liberia, its agencies and Liberian companies that have appeared in reports to congress – requirement of FARA – for the period January 2006 to December 2012. The Government of Liberia (GOL), the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of State and Presidential Affairs and a Liberian company, AmLib United Minerals are the entities from Liberia mentioned in all the reports covering the period. The United  States firms that have dealt with these entities are LISCR; KRL International; JWI, LLC; Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, LLP; Radelet, Steven Charles (Center for Global Development) and BKSH & Associates. Please find below a table summarizing the relationships and transactions between them:Transactions for Liberia as reported to FARAThe $200M lobbying talk in Monrovia is much ado about nothing. My accounting instinct tells me that somebody is misreading reports.   As shown in my table above, the claim that the government of Liberia has spent over $200,000,000 on lobbying for the period covering 1/1/2006 to 12/31/2012 is erroneous. I do not work for nor represent the Government of Liberia, but as an individual who desires an honest and sincere fight against corruption, that is void of politics, I felt constrained to provide the facts I have gleaned from study of these documents. An additional purpose of this letter is to move this conversation away from political rhetoric and sentiments to one based purely on facts and evidence. I am open to a serious rebuttal from folks who can provide solid facts contrary to those I have outlined.Some will attempt to use Alex Knotts’ Roll Call article, “Lobbying by Foreign Countries Decreases”, as one of the sources to support their argument. Knott’s article makes a passing reference to Liberia spending $45.9 M in 2010; however he provides no data to substantiate this claim. If he used the information on the FARA website for his September 15, 2011 article, he made a faulty conclusion by including the LISCR transactions as lobbying fees. I have written him series of letters to disprove his piece, but he has not responded to my letters. Anybody can follow up with him at alexknott@rollcall.com.  Thanks for giving me an opportunity to contribute to a national discourse..* My sources are semi-annual reports to congress (listed on the website) and supplemental statements for each of the registrants that dealt with Liberia in the six years (2006 to 2012)Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Four die in five days searching for abalone

first_img“That’s part of the fun, right? You get a little adrenaline going,” said one enthusiast, Ken Norton. “People get hurt, of course. People fall off rocks.” But he added: “There’s a little bit of danger in anything – driving around in your car.” All four deaths in California this year happened over a five-day span in Mendocino County, which usually records three or four abalone-related deaths during the entire April-through-November season. A new moon that drew large crowds to take advantage of unusually low tides, along with high winds that kicked up rough conditions, may have contributed to the latest deaths. The victims are believed to have drowned or died of heart attacks. Because divers are allowed to use only a snorkel, some black out as they rush to the surface for air. Others get tangled in kelp. Some get exhausted in the churning surf or overexert themselves prying the stubborn, snail-like creatures from rocks. Three years ago, a great white shark bit a diver’s head off. Veteran divers and even the rock-pickers who ply chest-deep waters tell of being surprised by powerful surf that has washed them over the rocks or swept them out to sea. Anthony Kan said in 20 years of abalone picking he has seen two people die. One died from hypothermia and another drowned in the weeds. He nearly died himself when he tripped at the edge of a cliff, catching a handful of grass before going over. “I was really lucky,” the 69-year-old said. In Sonoma County, which sees a couple of diving-related deaths a year, an abalone diver with a head wound was rescued April 15 after he fell down a 35-foot cliff. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! FORT ROSS – As abalone diver Joe Vojvoda prepared to don his wetsuit hood and gloves on a rocky beach, he mused about the shellfish delicacy that lures many to the frigid waters. “To die for, just to die for,” Vojvoda said. The quest for the mighty mollusk is indeed deadly. Four people perished in the past week in California while pursuing abalone (pronounced ab-uh-LOH-nee), which is used in sushi and a variety of other Asian dishes and can sell for $100 apiece on the black market. Abalone hunters rappel down cliffs, clamber over treacherously slick rocks and disappear into dark, choppy waters to pry mollusks from the ocean floor. last_img read more

Real Madrid remain keen on signing Kante

first_imgThat looks highly unlikely as Kante is a crucial player for the Blues, but reports claim that Real and Chelsea came to an agreement over the summer, whereby Los Blancos will get first refusal on him, should he move on.Real snapped up Eden Hazard from Chelsea over the summer and it is at that point where the agreement over Kante is also said to have been reached.The Spanish giants are keen to bolster the heart of their midfield and Manchester United star Paul Pogba is a top target for their coach Zinedine Zidane, however the same can be said of Kante.Zidane is a big admirer of his fellow countryman and there was talk of them trying to do a deal during the recent transfer window.However, even though Chelsea were willing to do business over Hazard, there was no chance of Kante leaving as a replacement could not be signed due to the club’s current transfer ban.Good news for Chelsea is the fact that Kante has said that he is very happy at Chelsea and is not interested in moving on despite interest from Real, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain.Chelsea are also in a strong position as Kante still has four years remaining on his contract so there is no rush to get him tied down to a new one.Kante is valued in the region of £100million which would not be a problem for Real, but any bid would only come at the end of the season as they spent heavily during the last window and the pot is empty for now.0Shares0000(Visited 32 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Real Madrid remain keen on signing Kante. Photo/TeamTalkMediaMADRID, Spain, Sep 13 – Real Madrid are keeping tabs on Chelsea defensive midfielder N’Golo Kante, and reportedly have the right of first refusal on the France international.Reports have suggested that Real will be the first to know should Chelsea decide to cash in on the player at some point.last_img read more

TOTTENHAM SHOCK! England trio ready to QUIT club this summer

first_img Eric Dier, Danny Rose and Kyle Walker 1 Tottenham could lose THREE key players this summer.Eric Dier, Danny Rose and Kyle Walker all want out of White Hart Lane, according to a shock report in The Sun.The north Londoners have had another impressive season under Mauricio Pochettino, providing a strong title challenge to champions Chelsea.They are guaranteed second spot this season, their highest finish in the Premier League era, ahead of their final two games of the campaign.But Spurs could now be set for a major blow, with a trio of their English stars eyeing the exit.Walker is tipped to be the first out of the door with Chelsea and Manchester City ready to offer the full-back a major pay rise.Fellow defender Rose is also interesting City, as well as neighbours United, and is said to be keen on a move north.Dier, meanwhile, could be set for a move to Manchester too with United boss Jose Mourinho also keen on the midfielder.Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has a strict wage structure and the trio could DOUBLE their salaries by moving to a Premier League rival.last_img read more

Donegal had most emergency childcare applications outside Dublin and Cork

first_imgMore emergency applications to take children into care were made in Letterkenny last year than in any other town in the country.Data released by the Child Care Law Reporting Project showed than more than 1,000 applications for childcare applications. Only the cities of Dublin and Cork, which serve much larger populations, had more emergency applications.An emergency care order is applied for at the District Court when gardaí and Tusla, the Child and Family Agency, believe there is an immediate and serious risk to a child’s health or welfare.In 2015, according to data collected by the Courts Service and analysed by the project, 26 emergency applications were made at Letterkenny District Court, in Co Donegal.And overall, the court saw a total of 1,117 applications related to childcare, also more than any other town. These included almost 450 full care order applications, normally made to keep children in the care of the State until adulthood.Only Dublin and Cork had higher overall numbers of child care applications; 2,003 and 2,472 respectively, and the cities had emergency applications of 82 and 41. They both had fewer full care order applications than Letterkenny, with 128 and 230 respectively.Donegal had most emergency childcare applications outside Dublin and Cork was last modified: October 24th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Applicationschildcarecourtsdonegallast_img read more

GAA: NÓTAÍ CLG GAOTH DOBHAIR

first_imgComortas Cailin Gaelach an Chontae.Beidh comortas Cailin Gaelach an Chontae a reachtáil sa Chlubtheach Gaoth Dobhairar an domhnach 6 Bealtaine 2012 ag tosu ar an 9.00i.n. a chlog.Má tá club ar bith abhfuil ionadaí acu ma choir daofa teangmhail a dheanamhle runaí Ghaoth Dobhair agsecretary.gweedore@gaa.ie.  roimh Dé hAoine 27 Aibreán .Caithfidh a sais féin a bheith le gach cailin.GAA: NÓTAÍ CLG GAOTH DOBHAIR was last modified: April 18th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:NÓTAÍ CLG GAOTH DOBHAIRlast_img read more

FOOTBALL: LETTERKENNY ROVERS FACE PORTMARNOCK IN FAI SENIOR CUP 1ST ROUND REPLAY

first_imgRovers have another big, big cup match this Sunday. They face Portmarnock in the FAI Senior Cup 1st round replay at Leckview.It is with immense pride that we begin our club notes this week with the news that we are for our national football stadium at the Aviva on Saturday May 14th for our first ever intermediate cup final having got past Ringmahon Rangers 2-0 in our semi final replay. with goals from Paul McVeigh and David Shovlin.The emotional scenes at Leckview Park last Sunday when the final whistle went had to be seen to be believed. We would like to thank everyone who helped in any way during the preparation and staging of  the game and we would like to thank all the supporters who turned out in great numbers to give their support to the boys on what was a big occasion for the club.Arrangements for the final will become alot clearer in the next week and any information will be posted on our social media pages and local media and we would urge everyone if they can–locals, non-locals and the Donegal diaspora in Dublin- to get along to the Aviva and lend your support once again to a fabulous squad led by our manager Eamon McConigley. Any thoughts on that game will be cast aside this week as the big games just keep coming for our seniors and all support on Sunday would be most welcome when we meet Portmarnock in the FAI Cup 1st round replay also at Leckview. The winners will go into the hat with the senior clubs in the next round. The game kicks off at 2pm.Alot of other club teams in action and the Youths finished 2nd in the League when defeating Gweedore Celtic 2-1. Codey Brogan and Sean Curran with the goals and this Saturday they again face Gweedore Celtic at an Screaban  at 2pm in the Ulster Youth Cup semi final.The u16s bowed out of the Champions League when losing out to Bonagee 2-1 at the Aura meaning they lose 4-3 on aggregate. Goalscorer fopr Rovers was Dylan Doogan.The u14s Rovers advanced in the Premier Cup when defeating Glenea 2-1. Jake Fitzsimmons and Adam Yissau the goalscorers. They were due to face Milford Utd on Wednesday evening in their final league game while they have been drawn against Donegal Town in the Champions League.The u14s United had a good 2-2 draw at Keadue with goals from Muhammed Khan and Sean Pascual and they were due back in action on Wednesday against Bonagee at the Aura before also travelling to play Glencar on Sunday morning at 1145am.The u14s Crusaders lost out to Bonagee despite a Paul McFadden screamer for Benny Blakes side and they face Milford in the Cup at the Aura on Saturday at 1145am.The u12s Rovers face Milford this Saturday at the Aura junior Pitch with a 1030am kick off and they should be well rested after a week off.This weeks mini lotto numbers were 5-7-14 and 16.3 people matched 3 numbers and receive 25euro each.Lucky winners are Eunan McIntyre, Eileen Connolly and Eileen Coyle.Next weeks jackpot is 3575 euro.Club bingo continues in the Station House Hotel on Thursday nights at 830pm.Snowball is 1300 euro on 45 numbers or less.FOOTBALL: LETTERKENNY ROVERS FACE PORTMARNOCK IN FAI SENIOR CUP 1ST ROUND REPLAY was last modified: April 20th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FootballLetterkenny Rovers FCSportlast_img read more

The most likely outcome in every Premier League game this week, according to stats

first_img gameday cracker Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? SORRY 4 possible standings predicted Liverpool v Brighton latest Liverpool win – 85 per cent chance of happeningBrighton win – three per cent chance of happeningDraw – 11 per cent chance of happening 4 silverware Arsenal win – 72 per cent chance of happeningWest Ham win – 11 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 17 per cent chance of happening Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade revealed The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Arsenal v West Ham Watford v Crystal PalaceWatford win – 43 per cent chance of happeningCrystal Palace win – 29 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester CityWolverhampton Wanderers win – nine per cent chance of happeningManchester City win – 73 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 18 per cent chance of happening whoops Huddersfield Town v Cardiff CityHuddersfield win – 43 per cent chance of happeningCardiff win – 27 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 31 per cent chance of happening Everyone has their own different ways of attempting to forecast the result and statistics are more often being used.One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what outcomes do they think will happen? Find out below. Manchester City were in brilliant form against Huddersfield last week smart causal center_img Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT 4 Christian Eriksen and Paul Pogba do battle at Wembley earlier this year. Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion tense Arsenal defender Shkodran Mustafi attempts to tackle West Ham United star Marko Arnautovic. How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures Bournemouth v EvertonBournemouth win – 42 per cent chance of happeningEverton win – 31 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happening Most Popular Premier League News 4 Southampton v Leicester CitySouthampton win – 41 per cent chance of happeningLeicester City win – 31 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening If you aren’t playing talkSPORT’s world famous Predictor game, what are you thinking?Across the globe, Premier League fans each weekend try and guess the scores in each game as they attempt to win some great prizes on offer. Fulham v BurnleyFulham win – 45 per cent chance of happeningBurnley win – 27 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happening Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Manchester United v Tottenham England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings Egyptian superstar Mohamed Salah scores against the Seagulls last season. Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Newcastle v ChelseaNewcastle win – 21 per cent chance of happeningChelsea win – 54 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happening Manchester United win – 37 per cent chance of happeningTottenham win – 37 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happeninglast_img read more

Women’s Basketball defeats Valparaiso, 86-50, in Valley opener

first_img Full Schedule Roster Preview Buy Tickets Live Stats Praise 940 AM The Valley on ESPN3 After opening the game with a 14-2 lead, Drake continued to dominate the first half shooting 18-of-25 as a team including going 7-of-11 from three. Valparaiso stayed with the Bulldogs holding Drake’s lead at 31-16 before a Valparaiso turnover allowed Miller back-to-back layups helping Drake seize the momentum for good on way to a 47-22 halftime lead. Watch Live For the eighth time this season the Bulldogs recorded more than 20 assists, totaling 23 on 29 field goals. Redshirt junior Maddy Dean (Jordan, Minn.) dished out a career-high 12 while just missing a points/assist double-double with nine points. Senior Paige Greiner (Williamsburg, Iowa) also recorded nine points shooting a perfect 3-of-3 from behind the three-point line.  Dean, Greiner, Miller and Rhine helped the Bulldogs’ bench finish with 56 points to outscore the entire Valparaiso team.In its MVC debut, Valparaiso (7-5, 0-1 MVC) was led by senior Dani Franklin with nine points and Addison Stoller with eight. Franklin, the Valley’s leading scorer at 18.0 points per game, entering Friday’s contest was limited to only 24 minutes of action due to foul trouble. Story Links PDF Box Score Next Game:center_img Loyola 12/31/2017 – 2 PM HTML Box Score Drake (6-7, 1-0 MVC) secured its victory behind a 29-of-55 (52.7 percent) shooting performance, including going 14-of-30 (46.7 percent) from beyond the arc. The Bulldogs were led by junior Nicole Miller (Walker, Iowa) with a career-high 18 points. Miller was joined in double-figures by redshirt sophomore Sara Rhine (Eldon, Mo.) and sophomore Becca Hittner (Urbandale, Iowa) who had 15 and 11 points, respectively. Rhine added 11 rebounds for her second double-double of the season. Friday night’s victory was the Bulldogs 23rd consecutive Valley win, dating back to last season.  Valparaiso matched Drake point-for-point (14-14) in the third quarter before the Bulldogs outscored Valparaiso, 25-14, in the fourth quarter to close out the game. The Bulldogs will continue their homestand hosting Loyola in a New Year’s Eve contest on Sunday. Tipoff with the Ramblers is scheduled for 2 p.m.Print Friendly Version DES MOINES, Iowa – In its 2017-18 Missouri Valley Conference opener, the Drake University women’s basketball team defeated Valley newcomer Valparaiso, 86-50, Friday evening in the Knapp Center.last_img read more

Council’s Environment Committee to hold emergency meeting on dumping controversy

first_imgAn emergency meeting has been called for Donegal County Council’s Environment & Emergency Services Strategic Policy Committee following last night’s RTE Investigates programme on illegal dumping. Chairperson of the Committee Sinn Féin Councillor Jack Murray, has called the meeting to discuss the findings of the ‘Ireland’s Wild Waste’ investigations, which alleged specific cases of appalling illegal activity in various sites across Donegal. Commenting in the wake of the controversy, Cllr Murray said; “Like thousands of others across the country, I watched the recent programme in horror at what was reported. “Since then, I have been contacted by many angry constituents who are rightly demanding decisive action from their local representatives.“As such, as chairperson of the Council’s Environment & Emergency Services SPC, I have called a special sitting of the committee to look at illegal dumping across the county.“There we will have the opportunity to put forward all the questions the public is asking and we will analyse this situation in full.“We are lucky to live in the most beautiful county in Ireland. With that, we as a council, have a responsibility to ensure that our scenic countryside is kept pristine for future generations. “Illegal dumping cannot be tolerated. We have to act and the council has to be to the fore in that regard.”Featured image: Moville Waste Facility, via @rteCouncil’s Environment Committee to hold emergency meeting on dumping controversy was last modified: June 20th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cllr Jack MurrayDonegal County Council’s Environment & Emergency Services Strategic Policy CommitteedumpingRTE Investigateslast_img read more